Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any intel on the first 7 miles of Death Valley Rd. from Ubehebe Crater area?
And Kauri says "Stop, you're both right, Big Pine Rd and Death Valley Rd" Smile

Which reminds me... in the "old days" before the formation of the national park, Inyo County used to regularly grade that road up to the park boundary. But now it is entirely in the park, so it may get less attention.

It was exactly the narrow washout of the type that she describes which made me say "watch carefully". When the road is good, or where it is good, it can seduce you to drive 25-30. I had a similar experience driving into the Saratoga Springs from the south. The rut I hit was not much more than a foot wide, but wham, that's enough to seriously screw things up - even though I braked hard. There was a styrofoam ice chest in the back seat, next to my daughter in her car seat, and her comment after we stopped was "Dad the ice chest just exploded" - it flew into the back of my seat and, indeed, fell apart.

And that was what I was trying to ask from the ranger who chastised me for wanting to take the same daughter up to the Eureka dunes..

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any intel on the first 7 miles of Death Valley Rd. from Ubehebe Crater area? - by MojaveGeek - 2021-11-28, 07:28 PM