Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three weeks in the Sonoran desert
(2021-12-27, 08:43 PM)MojaveGeek Wrote: Where did you start up the ridge?  There is a big bend in the road just south of Badwater where an alluvial fan comes out.    I am thinking that is the Bad fan, and you started up south of there?
Hey MG, I relate well to your comments. Especially the funny ones.  Smile

I'd suggest a one way route up from Badwater to Dante's Peak and then over to Dantes View Parking Lot. The 5K elevation drop for the return is tough on the older knee joints. So far, up climbing is no problem but the down climbs are increasingly more challenging. You're correct about my route. I parked at Badwater and hiked across the Bad Canyon alluvial fan and up the south ridge line which afforded those jaw dropping views into Bad Canyon and Hades Canyons. Either drop your car off at Dante View and have someone drive you around and down to Badwater to start the hike or visa versa. Take your time and enjoy a slow pace. i had to bust my ass in order to complete the round trip and still ended up in the dark. The hole event was challenging but so well worth the memory. 

Just exploring lower Bad Canyon is fun with great views until you get stopped by the big dry fall just a mile or so in. Don't even try to by pass that first dry fall because its too treacherous up there. I mistakenly keep bypassing three dry falls thinking I'd end up on the floor of Bad Canyon but instead just got boxed out at the end of a smaller side canyon-tributary. I did not realize this until I completed the hike up to Dantes Peak which afforded orienting views and perspectives. 

Sorry to drag out this thread so much but the north ridge of Bad Canyon is equally spectacular but is very taxing and challenging. I attempted to duplicate the hikes of Steve Hall and Michel Digonnet into Bad Canyon from the Mount Perry Trail (which you have hiked and snapped those gorgeous panoramas of) but I was too frightened to follow where they dropped down from the Hades Fault crossing so I turned back. I won't attempt that until I have a companion and some ropes for safety. I admire those guys for pulling that one off. 
Life begins in Death Valley

Messages In This Thread
Three weeks in the Sonoran desert - by MojaveGeek - 2021-12-26, 02:11 PM
RE: Three weeks in the Sonoran desert - by Kauri - 2021-12-26, 08:02 PM
RE: Three weeks in the Sonoran desert - by DeathValleyDazed - 2021-12-28, 01:13 AM