Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steve Hall's Not Slowing Down - DEVA 2022
(2022-01-23, 02:34 PM)bbbb Wrote:
(2022-01-18, 12:03 PM)netllama Wrote: That's quite understandable.  Steve's explanation & justification for taking down the content has been wildly inconsistent to say the least.  It doesn't feel like he's been honest about his motivations.  At this point, this feels like he's driven by a desire to monetize the content via some book deal, which wouldn't be viable if the free web version remained available.

I'm really grateful for the trip reports that Steve Hall's site provided when it existed, but much of his motivation always seems to have been attention-seeking or gatekeeping information generally, which is disappointing for people who exchange information freely. I don't know if this can all be explained by his attempting to monetize the content. It certainly makes some sense in retrospect.

Both of these posts make excellent points.

I was wondering if Steve was still blaming health problems (namely, cancer) for shutting down the site; sounds like the answer is no.

Though I only talked to Steve via email a few times over the years, I also sensed the same "attention-seeking or gatekeeping" tendencies. But everyone is different so I figured that was simply his personality.  Overblowing the difficulty or obscurity of his destinations and outings still got annoying at times.  The odd bits of misinformation were simply amusing, lol.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Steve Hall's Not Slowing Down - DEVA 2022 - by Candace66 - 2022-02-06, 02:28 PM