Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hello and some trip reports Jan 22
This video may help? Back in 2017-2018 I was having a blast exploring the Black Mountain ridge from Dante's View parking to Mount Perry to the Borax Benchmark. This four minute video is scrambling up from Twenty Mule Team to the top of the Borax Benchmark. This is when I fell in love the Blue Mountain and its "Z" geology on the east face. 

I spent much of the day attempting to scoot down the Borax Benchmark west face drainages attempting to reach those gorgeous blue colored mountains tantalizingly close but completely inaccessible (until on a later trip finding an access route via Corkscrew Canyon). The video has some good shots of the scariest stop-dry-fall draining into the upper Artist Palette badlands. I did not really ever get lost, but I did lose my way in those labyrinth slots and crevices. It was exhausting. 

As far as "best views in the valley" this has to be in competition because of the colors and textures under foot and nearby with the panorama back drops of the Funerals, Grapevines, Panamints, and salt flats. I often felt like I was on Mars and I had the place all to myself. 

(2022-02-12, 10:14 PM)MojaveGeek Wrote: The ridgeline from Borax on to the top of Corkscrew looked fine to me from Borax.  It is really pretty up there.  My friend Eric, who is a regular out there with me, thinks it is one of the best views in the valley.  I hope you enjoy it.

(2022-02-12, 10:14 PM)MojaveGeek Wrote: The ridgeline from Borax on to the top of Corkscrew looked fine to me from Borax.  It is really pretty up there.  My friend Eric, who is a regular out there with me, thinks it is one of the best views in the valley.  I hope you enjoy it.

Life begins in Death Valley

Messages In This Thread
Hello and some trip reports Jan 22 - by Daymoth - 2022-01-14, 03:04 PM
RE: Hello and some trip reports Jan 22 - by Kauri - 2022-02-12, 09:56 AM
RE: Hello and some trip reports Jan 22 - by Kauri - 2022-02-12, 02:42 PM
RE: Hello and some trip reports Jan 22 - by Kauri - 2022-02-12, 08:35 PM
RE: Hello and some trip reports Jan 22 - by DeathValleyDazed - 2022-02-13, 07:29 PM