Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drybone Canyon Through from the Top
(2022-02-28, 03:59 PM)Kauri Wrote: Wow, sounds like quite an adventure getting it fixed! 

I can't remember if I asked you this earlier, but what company's LBJ did you end up replacing it with? Our local 4WD shop replaced the OEM Toyota LBJs on my 4Runner with Centric parts (280k miles on the original LBJs, it was a miracle they didn't fail before they were replaced since I didn't know they were prone to failure until the shop told me; I have the old ones and they feel quite bad). I've thought about looking into upgrades (and have been reading about uniball conversions) since I'm planning to keep my 4Runner forever. 

Also, off-topic again, have you heard of the Toyota Land Cruiser Association, now that you have a cruiser? They welcome all Toyota folks, and I've been told by members of our local chapter that they have a good network and there's often someone willing to lend a hand if you're traveling and have issues with your classic Toyota.

My recommendation is OEM ONLY on LBJs.  I researched the heck out of it after mine failed the second time.  Mine had ~370k miles on them when they failed in DV (one owner before me and I have and 18" tall stack of everything that ever happened to the truck).  I put in whatever I could get under the circumstances, which was Moogs.  8 months & ~8k miles later it failed again.  I replaced with OEM as soon as I could and things have been hunky dory since then.  

Oddly I have not heard of the TLCA.  I'm a member on IH8MUD and they have quite a worldwide network of Toyota lunatics...uh I mean enthusiasts. Lol.  Never hurts to have more friends out there tho.  Thanks.
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Drybone Canyon Through from the Top - by Beardilocks - 2022-02-28, 08:18 PM