Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mormon Point Canyon and Bighorn Gorge
(2022-04-24, 06:51 PM)MojaveGeek Wrote:
(2022-04-24, 06:31 PM)Bluegreen kayak Wrote: Please feel free to share - I'd rather learn from your experience than from my own mistakes!

This was a hike on the Olympic Peninsula (Washington) coast.  There are points  you cannot cross at high tide so your schedule revolves around the tide charts.  My friend and I hiked in for half a day and set up a camp.  But in summer up there the days are so long...  We continued up the beach, carrying stove and food, and planning to stop at some point by a spot that would be perhaps under water, cook dinner while the tide receded, and then continue north on a long long sandy beach.  Well, we got there and had everything except the pot.  Now dinner was instant mashed with canned corned beef so would could have just eaten from the can.  But we waited a bit, hiked on, beautiful beach.

We got back to camp around 9 PM, dark by then, and fired up the stove.  My friend started cooking.  I said "isn't that an awful lot of water you put in the pot?"  He was confident..  until he dumped in the instant mashed.  We ended up with potato and corned beef soup.  Ate every bit of it though.

Lesson?  Well it would be good to have your partner double check your critical gear Smile

So I know the feeling of having stove...  fuel...  food..  and NO POT!!  (and I don 't mean weed)

I was a bit worried for you, afraid you were going to end up stranded by the tide somewhere. Along with "the more, the merrier" my other motto might be "it could always be worse." Like forgetting the tent poles on my first backpack outing. What great memories one gets from going outdoors!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mormon Point Canyon and Bighorn Gorge - by Bluegreen kayak - 2022-04-26, 02:17 PM