Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Undiscovered Cavern In Death Valley
(2023-02-01, 07:34 PM)GowerGulch42 Wrote: One more thought – the mountains of Death Valley are pretty young. The result of that is steep, rugged topography which is hugely unfavorable to cave formation. There's a few spots I've been looking at since I started this post with some karstic features (stone-forest-like spires) in high, inaccessible terrain. I still won't rule out any explorable caverns, but the odds are slim in my opinion. I'd love to be wrong.
Hey GG42, I appreciate you sharing your expertise here! During my past scrambles up the slopes of DEVA I never really kept an eye out for possible cavern entrances but I'll pay more attention in the future just in case I get really lucky. 

One of my fondest cavern memories was two decades ago taking my daughter into a guided candlelight tour of Lehman Caves at Great Basin National Park. The small group, eery lighting, and excellent tour guide was beyond expectations. One room in the cavern was large enough that the old pioneer local people held dances and concerts inside. I believe the candlelight tours were discontinued shortly after due to soot pollution. 

Thanks DAW, ski3pin, and Daymoth for the tips and notes on other nearby caverns:

I recently learned about "gold wire" and that pockets of it had been discovered by luck in the Bullfrog Mining District back in the DEVA day. And three years ago modern drilling methods claim to have located worthwhile deposits under the Mother Lode: https://resourceworld.com/corvus-gold-ex...de-nevada/
Life begins in Death Valley

Messages In This Thread
RE: Possible Undiscovered Cavern In Death Valley - by DeathValleyDazed - 2023-02-03, 12:16 PM