Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contact Canyon - Owlshead Canyon Loop
(2023-03-26, 06:27 PM)Brice Wrote: Got any photos of that area? Maybe its 4:17 in your video?

Two reasons I hiked those long hours were I took my sweet time exploring having no idea which canyon I was in and those three difficult dry fall by passes at the head of the west fork of the Owlshead Canyon. I also did not take any photos of the Contact Dry Fall because I had no idea if I'd have to return not knowing if there was another major stop upstream? For the same reason I ended up NOT exploring the West and North Forks which from satellite appear mysterious. 

The views from the ridge between Owl Lake Basin and Contact headwaters is spectacular. From there I could see the massive and intriguing drainage of the side canyons off of Contact west and north area. The satellite shows some curious spots of color that would be fun to check out. Knowing what I know now, it would be long slog for a day hike from Harry Wade Road to explore all of the headwaters of Contact. 

This was my first foray into The Owlsheads and I'm hooked. Steve Hall was somewhere in The Owlshead Mountains last week or so shooting for his next film. I can see why he spends time there now. 

Hope this is helpful.
Life begins in Death Valley

Messages In This Thread
RE: Contact Canyon - Owlshead Canyon Loop - by DeathValleyDazed - 2023-03-26, 09:36 PM