Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jurassic Canyon Death Valley
October 30, 2020 I set out to revisit a specific location downstream about a mile from the mouth of Indian Pass Canyon. This exact location I happened upon March 2018 exiting Indian Pass as the sun was setting over Tucki Mountain and Stove Pipe Wells. There exists a large hole in the drainage side wall resembling a round window (about 15-20 feet in diameter - large enough that I actually scrambled up to, went through, and scrambled down the other side) after I had scaled the wall and walked across the top of the hole. 

Back in March 2018 I was gobsmacked at my good fortune to not only stumble across the hole in the wall but to catch it back lighted by the gorgeous setting light. So my goal was to return and photograph the hole from the north face capturing the rising sun at dawn as a mirror image or opposite view. 

I started out from Highway 190 at the Three Bare Hills but not quite early enough because I got confused and headed up the wrong drainage which put me behind schedule to capture the rising sun. On the way I happened upon a section of the drainage that reminded me of Jurassic Park with dinosaur heads transforming from the stone. There was also a small arch within a larger arch which was lovely backlighted by the morning sun. 

In spite of my detour I had a great time with perfect weather and lighting conditions. Happening upon a female bighorn sheep rack was a first for me as well. The video is set to the theme music of the Jurassic Park hit movie. 

[color=var(--ytcp-link-color)]https://youtu.be/ghFUKkW8Ti8[/color]
Life begins in Death Valley
Wow, those arches are a nice find!
Link to my DV trip reports, and map of named places in DV (official and unofficial): http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com
Another nice one. It would be fun to go in and find the "Jurassic rocks". Is this in the normal route up Indian Pass? I've never been up. It's a long walk from 190, but might be more motivated with stuff like that en route. I don't think you keep GPS tracks but if you could post or PM a rough sketch of the areas you shot, it would be great. I'm hoping to get out in 2021, hoping... hoping... hoping...

Oh, yes, I am guessing you did not cross the arch with those cracks showing?
(2020-11-11, 08:19 PM)MojaveGeek Wrote: Another nice one.  It would be fun to go in and find the "Jurassic rocks".  Is this in the normal route up Indian Pass?  I've never been up.  It's a long walk from 190, but might be more motivated with stuff like that en route.  I don't think you keep GPS tracks but if you could post or PM a rough sketch of the areas you shot, it would be great.  I'm hoping to get out in  2021, hoping...  hoping...  hoping...

Oh, yes, I am guessing you did not cross the arch with those cracks showing?

Hey MG, thanks. This is NOT the normal route up Indian Pass as I mistakenly veered south way too much. If you followed my mistaken route you'd be adding another mile or two or three to an already long hike to Indian Pass. I don't advise combining the two unless you're a glutton for punishment like me.  Tongue

I don't bother with a GPS device. One of my best friends is so app addicted that when we bike and hike together he spends more time loving his app than the experience itself!  Angry I'm not bashing GPS at all because they are so helpful for so many. I just like to keep things simple and pretend I'm the first one to visit the area I'm exploring. I relate more to little kids who don't comprehend GPS and just immerse themselves in the moment. I've never been "lost" in DEVA and in fact have taken many wrong turns which ironically have turned into some of my best adventures.  Huh

I'll PM you with a route map just in case. BTW - I need to revisit the Gnome Garden which you've explore much more extensively than I.
Life begins in Death Valley