Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DV NPS: Stovepipe Wells and Emigrant Site Plan
The info below is copied from https://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome...ctID=72747

Quote:The National Park Service is seeking feedback on proposed modifications to the Stovepipe Wells Developed Area in Death Valley National Park to improve visitor experience, safety, and park operations. The areas included in this effort are the Stovepipe Wells Village, Emigrant Junction, the Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes trailhead, Mosaic Canyon Road and trailhead, and the Devils Cornfield pullout. 

The vision for these improvements is to increase and enhance recreation opportunities, improve vehicle and pedestrian safety, update utilities and infrastructure, rehabilitate historic buildings, and reduce impacts to park resources. This newsletter includes information on the preliminary concepts being considered. 

We invite you to participate in the planning process by submitting your ideas by December 23, 2020. We would like to hear your thoughts on the preliminary concepts, potential issues with park resources visitor experience, as well as any other ideas you feel are relevant and important. We hope that you will join us in this important discussion regarding the future of your public lands by submitting comments. Once we have received and considered your comments, we will move to the next phase, which will include assessing compliance needs under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and other environmental regulations. As we move forward with planning for the improvements at the Stovepipe Wells Developed Area, we encourage you to stay connected and be an active participant in this planning process.

Topics under consideration include redesigning Stovepipe Wells Campground, removing the air strip and creating a night-sky viewing area, and paving (!) Mosaic Canyon Road and improving the parking area.
Link to my DV trip reports, and map of named places in DV (official and unofficial): http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com
I think it's all in good faith. SPW Campground is probably the worst in the park, and could benefit from a facelift. I similarly think that with Mosaic Canyon seeing as much visitation as it does, pavement would do more good than harm. The gravel certainly doesn't keep anybody away and probably creates a recurrent maintenance project.

I'm pretty excited by the Emigrant Junction improvements. I think that area has been neglected for way too long. The rumble strips would definitely make camping there worse, though.
Check me out on YouTube @ BetterGeology! https://www.youtube.com/c/BetterGeology

And my out-of-date website dvexplore.blogspot.com
A link to a PDF with site plans is posted on the bottom of the page below...

Stovepipe Wells Developed Area Planning Public Engagement Newsletter

The airstrip at Stovepipe Wells averages 83 flights per month...

Stovepipe Wells Airport
(2020-11-25, 01:01 PM)Desert Fog Wrote: A link to a PDF with site plans is posted on the bottom of the page below...

Stovepipe Wells Developed Area Planning Public Engagement Newsletter

The airstrip at Stovepipe Wells averages 83 flights per month...

Stovepipe Wells Airport

Thanks for this info! 83 flights per month is more than I'd thought it'd be.

I don't have particularly strong opinions about the plans under consideration except for the possibility of paving the Mosaic Canyon Road, and it's admittedly mainly because I just don't like the idea of a there being a lot of paved roads in national parks.
Link to my DV trip reports, and map of named places in DV (official and unofficial): http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com
I didn't think that the airstrip got that much traffic either.  It was in great shape when I was there.

Stovepipe Wells Runway 23
I can't understand why the airstrip needs to be messed with, particularly, as I read, for the purpose of camping for stargazing. There are plenty of location available for that already, and if they need something close to SPW, then simply designate an area near there for it.

Particularly in light of the amount of traffic the airstrip see.

David Bricker / SYR - O26
DV Rat.  Live upstate NY, play Death Valley, retiring to Hawaii. '95 Cherokee, barely.
Landscaping the developed area at SPW - that would be nice, it is really quite ugly Smile
Airstrip for star gazing. I am not necessarily a fan of air access, and those flight numbers must be somehow very seasonal because I've spent about 30 weeks of my life staying at SPW and seen only 2 planes. But for star gazing? Just walk out into the dunes...
Emigrant. Would be nice to see that place opened up again. Agree though about the rumble strip noise at night!
The campground is dead ugly so work to make it better would be nice but I think they reduce the spaces? The best ones are the tent sites right at the edge nearest the dunes.
The area can use improvements so hope some of this comes through.
The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association is urging pilots to oppose the airport closure...

Pilots Urged To Oppose Death Valley Airport Closure
"Stovepipe Wells Airport is already closed to night operations and has no rotating beacon to interfere with stargazing."

That's what I was thinking!  Seems like they could create an area adjacent to the CG.

BTW, I'm also surprised the airstrip gets as much use as they say.  I usually don't see any planes there.  I did see two planes parked on the airstrip last time I was there, but that was during Thanksgiving weekend.

This reminds me that I've always thought a general aviation flight over/around DVNP would be fun.  Especially if it were possible to visit all the airstrips along the way:  FC, SW, PSR, and the "Chicken Strip" in the Saline Valley.  And what the heck, throw in Shoshone and Lone Pine too. Big Grin
I assume you've seen the youtube vids of the Chicken Strip? Whoa! But I guess people do it...