Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lots of Park projects underway...
While looking for updates on the proposed changes to the Rogers Peak comm site, I visited the link below.  Wow, 20 projects listed for DEVA on the "Planning, Environment, and Public Comment" site!

Click here

Some I have heard of, others are new to me.  Including "contaminated site mitigation" at several sites around the Park.  Nine of them are currently open for comment, according to the page.

I sure didn't know there used to be a firing range east of the Grapevine admin area!  Looking at satellite images, there is a lot of stuff back there that I didn't know existed (and is likely off-limits to the public).
Yes, some of those projects have been on that list for several years.  You can also check the project list for the Pacific West Regional Office...

Pacific West Regional Office Projects

And some projects don't seem to be listed anywhere like this one...

Millions Of LWCF Dollars Targeted For Parks 

"LWCF funding would enable the purchase of the entire Rio Tinto property, the largest inholding in Death Valley National Park, and its addition to the Park as wilderness. Adjacent to some of the most popular areas of the park, protection of this land ensures visitors can continue to enjoy the unique landscape.”

PDF - LWCF Fact Sheet
(2020-12-01, 11:16 PM)Desert Fog Wrote: Yes, some of those projects have been on that list for several years.  You can also check the project list for the Pacific West Regional Office...

"LWCF funding would enable the purchase of the entire Rio Tinto property, the largest inholding in Death Valley National Park, and its addition to the Park as wilderness. Adjacent to some of the most popular areas of the park, protection of this land ensures visitors can continue to enjoy the unique landscape.”

As much as I hope it happens, how long has that been on the table? I think I first heard it was "several years away" back around 2013. 

Some of the other things on the list remind me to check out places I haven't been in a long time (Cashier Mill) or haven't gotten to yet (Homestake King).
Check me out on YouTube @ BetterGeology! https://www.youtube.com/c/BetterGeology

And my out-of-date website dvexplore.blogspot.com
I first heard about the land deal in a project letter from the Trust for Public Land February 2019.  It's listed in the top right item on the page below...

PDF - 2019 Priority Projects – Purchase Rio Tinto land for Death Valley National Park

There is no mention of the project on the TPL website which is odd. 

I am not sure why Rio Tinto wants to involve TPL for this land deal since in the past they have just donated land directly to the NPS.

The $5.1 million that Rio wants for these parcels is pocket change or an accounting error to a company that size.  Unless Rio plans to pass off the $5.1 million to another local project.
Is this specifically for the area in the Zabriskie badlands and Monte Blanco area?
Check me out on YouTube @ BetterGeology! https://www.youtube.com/c/BetterGeology

And my out-of-date website dvexplore.blogspot.com
I believe that the parcels only include those in the Zabriskie view shed area.  Rio Tinto had planned to run tracks to those parcels and mine but then the borax discovery at Boron, California came and that idea was abandoned when they left Ryan Camp.

I do not believe that the current land deal involves the patented White Monster mine claim located to the west of Ryan Camp as Rio has indicated that they may mine it in the future...

PDF - Email on White Monster Claim

White Monster Claim Map

White Monster Claim Photo
I believe these are the private parcels in the park owned by Rio Tinto that would be purchased with LWCF funds...

Image - Rio Tinto Parcels
Wow that's a chunk of land. Looks like it includes Corkscrew Canyon and all of Monte Blanco, maybe includes Golden Canyon too? (I know there are old small mines down in Gower Gulch). It would be nice to secure that area indeed.
Indeed.  This map will show you more detail...

Detailed Image - Rio Tinto Parcels
Thanks, good view. Does include Gower Gulch but only a bit of Golden. There's nice scenery in there and it is a heavily visited area being close to FC. Would be nice to get those parcels transferred!