Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Giant Dining Oasis Feeds Thousands
An interesting article about "The Oasis" and how they operate in the remote, harsh environment that is Death Valley:

https://la.eater.com/2021/5/12/21148692/...california
Interesting. I haven't been in most of those places. Haven't dined at FC in years. Anyone else remember the days when there was a small pizza place tucked in there behind the lower end restaurant?
(2021-05-14, 11:57 AM)MojaveGeek Wrote: Anyone else remember the days when there was a small pizza place tucked in there behind the lower end restaurant?

Yes! Wasn't the pizza place between the coffee shop and the general store? It took over the old, old steakhouse in the same location (not the Wrangler that was on the west side, more recently) that was there in the late '80s/early '90s (my parents used to eat there; I'm not old enough to have been to that restaurant!).
Link to my DV trip reports, and map of named places in DV (official and unofficial): http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com
Yes indeed. When I started visiting DV with my young daughter, 3 1/2 on the first trip, we'd pick up a pizza on the way to SPW, and she would eat a slice for dinner each evening. Then we'd hit the SPW restaurant, I'd order a meal, we'd hit up the salad bar, where she would score some jello, and then we'd split my dessert. But I think it was gone by 92 or 93.
(2021-05-14, 06:21 PM)MojaveGeek Wrote: When I started visiting DV with my  young daughter, 3 1/2 on the first trip, we'd pick up a pizza ...

Hey MG, your daughter is so lucky to have and adventurous father like you. What sweet memories you two share out in DEVA!
Life begins in Death Valley
(2021-05-15, 08:18 AM)DeathValleyDazed Wrote: Hey MG, your daughter is so lucky to have and adventurous father like you. What sweet memories you two share out in DEVA!

It was good times for both of us.  On that first trip 1) I'd never been in Death Valley before and 2) I'd never had her solo for more than a day or two.  Both worked out very well.  We went out every year and that gives me clear memories of what she was capable of at each milestone.  And.... last week she had a baby boy, so now I am Grandpa Geek!
Congrats Grandpa Geek! You going to change your username? Wink
(2021-05-15, 04:17 PM)ski3pin Wrote: Congrats Grandpa Geek! You going to change your username? Wink

To Mojave Grandpa?   Oh that is too scary!

My younger child is a boy (well, a man now).   I actually suggested naming him "Mojave" but my wife wanted nothing to do with that, and in reality, it would have been tough hearing that pronounced in Anglo culture Smile
Running a restaurant / gas station / motel / campground in Death Valley is absolutely no picnic. I know this from personal experience at PSR. The Coronavirus issue and resultant shutdown of foreign tourism especially have been extremely difficult on them.

David Bricker / SYR
DV Rat.  Live upstate NY, play Death Valley, retiring to Hawaii. '95 Cherokee, barely.