Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where Are These Death Valley Locations?
I have been scanning some of our family photos and I came upon photos of my first trip to Death Valley. The date is December 1955. I thought forum members would enjoy figuring out locations where three photos were taken. The photos were taken by my great uncle with his stereoscopic View Master camera.

Number one is a camping site.

[Image: he07-006-web.jpg]

The second is a stop along a road.

[Image: he08-002-web.jpg]

And here is the third photo.

[Image: he08-005-web.jpg]

What do you think? Where are the locations? I find it so exciting to find these family photos from 1955 in Death Valley National Monument.
Wow, these are amazing photos! Thank you so much for sharing!

As to locations, I would guess:

1. Near Mesquite Sand Dunes (I think the Cottonwood/Marble "gate" is visible in the background, with Cottonwood Benchmark to the far left).

2. Looks like right around Badwater, from the kind of rocks in the background which are typical of the Black Mountains.

3. Aguereberry Point (guessing based on what higher altitude touristy spots folks were likely to have traveled to at that time)

My grandparents visited DV in the early '60s, if I recall correctly. Your post has reminded me that I've been meaning to ask my uncle if he has scanned the film from their trip.
Link to my DV trip reports, and map of named places in DV (official and unofficial): http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com
I’d love to have that Jag xk140  Big Grin
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
1. Near Mesquite Sand Dunes (I think the Cottonwood/Marble "gate" is visible in the background, with Cottonwood Benchmark to the far left).

I second that, the gate is very diagnostic

Way cool pics!
Third picture is Dante's View parking lot with the trail to Dante's Peak and Mount Palmer in the background.
I agree with the campsite location. The mouth of Cottonwood is so distinctive. Bingo on Dantes View. I recognized the location immediately. The second photo sure looks like Badwater Road maybe just south of Badwater. There is one photo in the group (not posting) of a second campsite up against a hillside but, unfortunately, the quality is very poor.

Here are a couple photos where the location is obvious.

[Image: he08-001-web.jpg]

This one is labeled, "Scottys from grave." Walter Scott passed away Jan. 1954, so this was a bit less than then two years after Death Valley Scotty's death and burial above the castle. Johnson's Gospel Foundation owned the castle until the Park Service bought it in 1970. The parking lots looks busy and this was back in 1955.

[Image: he08-004-web.jpg]
Except it's not Mount Palmer but Mount Perry. My bad.
Having been out to Mount Perry, I knew that's what you meant.
(2021-06-09, 05:02 PM)ski3pin Wrote: I have been scanning some of our family photos and I came upon photos of my first trip to Death Valley. I find it so exciting to find these family photos from 1955 in Death Valley National Monument.

These vintage images are priceless and precious so thanks so much for sharing. Is that you, ski3pin in image two posing in between the Jag and the Station Wagon? 

Compare Dante's View in your 50s image with how it looks now which BTW appears to confirm the location. I was like Kauri and believed it was Aquereberry Point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hFYQrYjBWE
Life begins in Death Valley