Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F18 crash in DV, 4 Oct
Candace alerted me, she is out in the Inyos I gather and has limited Internet.   The only news I can see is that an F18 crashed in a "remote area" of the park at 3 PM on the 4th.   Pilot ejected, was treated at Sunrise in LV, and later released.   Plane was out of China Lake.

If anyone knows more, please follow up.
Article here...

U.S. Navy Super Hornet crashes in Death Valley National Park

From the park...

U.S. Navy Super Hornet Crashed in Death Valley National Park
(2021-10-05, 08:10 PM)Desert Fog Wrote: Article here...

U.S. Navy Super Hornet crashes in Death Valley National Park

From the park...

U.S. Navy Super Hornet Crashed in Death Valley National Park

"in a remote area in southern Death Valley National Park. ". So basically somewhere in the Owlsheads, and not anywhere that random people could access without a lot of planning & effort.
Article from the U.S. Naval Institute but still slim on details...

Super Hornet Crashes in Death Valley
Thanks, Foggy, but I've seen all those. Yes Owlsheads come to mind but no verification of that.
I did not see anything on the park web site other than what you pointed to, which has the same language as the Navy's press release (I presume that is what it is).
These guys are good about covering events like the crash.  They will probably have something on it soon with more info...

The War Zone
(2021-10-05, 09:03 PM)Desert Fog Wrote: These guys are good about covering events like the crash.  They will probably have something on it soon with more info...

The War Zone

Hey Foggy, as usual you provide excellent information with that impressive link. I subscribed to their newsletter thanks to you.
Life begins in Death Valley
I checked a bunch of sites, but nobody is giving a location other than remote southern DV. I imagine they want it kept hush-hush to deter souvenir hunters and thrill seekers.
(2021-10-08, 08:08 AM)trailhound Wrote: I checked a bunch of sites, but nobody is giving a location other than remote southern DV. I imagine they want it kept hush-hush to deter souvenir hunters and thrill seekers.

And idiots who will get lost trying to find it in a wilderness area.
This article had a little more information less the location...

U.S. Navy F/A-18F Super Hornet Crashes in Death Valley: Pilot Ejects Safely

A few minutes after the crash Flight Radar 24 shows a Navy KC-130 took off from Yuma and flew directly to the crash area.

It went off tracking flying east south of the old microwave tower just outside the south end of the park.  This airstrip is east of where the plane dropped off tracking...

Google Map

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)