Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tap ... Tap ... Tap ... Is this Mike On?
Tap ... tap ... tap ... Is this mike turned on? Anybody in here? It’s been nearly a week that the lights have been turned on, the open sign has been in the window and nobody has stopped in.
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
Yeah, it's been very quiet this week, not sure why since it seems like folks would be prepping for DV trips over the upcoming holidays. Hopefully we'll at least see some trip reports from folks coming in after the Thanksgiving weekend.
Link to my DV trip reports, and map of named places in DV (official and unofficial): http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com
Hey DV Friends! I'm constantly poking a head in here to see what's going on, but I haven't travelled since my March trip down to DVNP that ended up being the last hurrah for my wagon. Since then it's been work, work, Pandemic, work, wildfires, work, etc. Pretty dang boring, though I have found some pleasure in slowly putting together a new truck when my schedule & the global supply chain permit.

Going forward my DV goals are to do a better job documenting my trips and sharing them on the forum. We're hoping to make it down in January just to spend some time outdoors, but in the back of my head I've already accepted the fact it likely won't be until March for my somewhat-annual birthday trip.

Love reading what everyone is up to though, and I've also been sharing a lot of info & advice with folks I know who have been having fun down at the park ... so I still feel somewhat connected. Hope everyone out there is doing well!
I had a great summer, but not in the desert Smile 2 1/2 weeks in Montana (Bozeman area), 2 weeks in the eastern Sierra (based in June Lake, you know the area well, Kauri), and 10 days wandering around Mt. Rainier. Smoke was always an issue - it's the new normal I am afraid. Never been smoked out in Montana in July, but this year it was really bad. I was south of most of the Sierra smoke most of the time, though visibility was rarely crystal clear Sierra skies. Will be in southern AZ for much of December, and back out to DV some time in the spring.

It was great to get out and refresh my soul with wilderness after a lousy stay at home Covid year. Hoping we don't pick up with that again this winter, though numbers are going up here in Massachusetts, and I guess California also. I'm vaxxed 3x but we know it ain't perfect.
Kauri's tag says she is an "aspiring chuckwalla" but I don't think she needs to aspire, I think she has reached that goal several times over Smile
Out from six days in the Park.  Nothing outsdanding, and my camera stinks, but I'll post a TR soon.  Wildrose Peak trail over Punjabi Peak to Mahagohany Flat, Blackrock Well and Nelson Range, Dawrin Canyon, Surprise Canyon, Pit of Doom Canyon (non-technical approach route), Badwater and Sidewinder slots. Sort of a show me tour for a friend, while still seeing some new things for me. Camps at Wildrose Campground, Lee Flat, Panamint Spr Campground, Hole in the Wall and Ibex Mtn TH.
Hey John! Will look forward to TRs when you are able! Punjabi Pk? is that a name for the 8335 complex? If so, that's a fun loop which I've done a few times in hot weather. But I wonder where "Punjabi" came from, or if its a different peak?

Blackrock Well - very nice, no? We went on up to the crest of the Nelson Range from there a few years ago, but did not take the best route - I can advise if anyone goes there. I don't know Pt. of Doom, curious about that one.

For anyone doing Sidewinder, I highly recommend the Willow / Sidewinder loop, though on a short day you then might not have time to fully explore the Sidewinder slots on the way out (and recommend doing it clockwise, as it is easier to fill or shorten your walk out with the number of slots you explore).

I just worked out a trip for late March!

BTW, based solely on lodging availability at SPW, it is going to be a busy spring out there! If you're looking to stay there in March, you may already be SOL, better book ASAP.
(2021-11-22, 07:55 PM)MojaveGeek Wrote: Hey John!  Will look forward to TRs when you are able!  Punjabi Pk?  is that a name for the 8335 complex?  If so, that's a fun loop which I've done a few times in hot weather.  But I wonder where "Punjabi" came from, or if its a different peak?

Blackrock Well - very nice, no?  We went on up to the crest of the Nelson Range from there a few years ago, but did not take the best route - I can advise if anyone goes there.  I don't know Pt. of Doom, curious about that one.

For anyone doing Sidewinder, I  highly recommend the Willow / Sidewinder loop, though on a short day you then might not have time to fully explore the Sidewinder slots on the way out (and recommend doing it clockwise, as it is easier to fill or shorten your walk out with the number of slots you explore).

I just worked out a trip for late March!

BTW, based solely on lodging availability at SPW, it is going to be a busy spring out there!  If you're looking to stay there in March, you may already be SOL, better book ASAP.

Yup, Peak 8380. https://peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=-73287 Wanted Calville Ridge but r/o of time.  Made a fun loop.  Did you see petros on random limestone outcrops?  My aim was for your indian trail but went from Wildrose southward so never located it.

Took a nice route up Blackrock Canyon to Point 7046 on Nelson Crest.  Great view of 3 valleys and a flat!

Agree, the Wollow Loop is very worthy, but too lazy for this time.  Neat how it transitions from fanglomerate slots to pinkish limestone narrows of Willow.

Pit of Doom is one of the Princes Bride Range Canyons of Steve Hall.  parked at the elbow of the Cottonwood/Marble Road at mile 4.5.
Sounds like a great trip!

8380, got it. We looked for the Indian trail out to Colville when we came from the Wildrose trail this spring, but couldn't see it. We also went out Colville on a different day - only a few entries in the register out there when we went. Without a GPS track or waypoint, you can sort of guess a least effort path across, but we still had to poke around a bit going up and down the south edge of the talus before we started seeing the cairns, then it was easy. You should go out there some time. Nothing harder than class 2 but not a lot of traffic.

We didn't notice any petros. Good for you if you did!

Blackrock. OK, I guess we think alike to combine petros with views Smile

I haven't gotten into those Princes Bride peaks yet. Was going to in the spring but it was just too hot that week On the list. If you post a TR, I'll enjoy that!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Everyone left a week ago, leaving the lights on and the doors unlocked.  Must have left looking for the Llama circles …  Dodgy
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.