Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help: current, high-quality satellite imagery?
I'd love to see some fairly current satellite imagery around these coordinates:  37.757753, -117.809568

The higher the resolution, the better. 

April 4 is the target date, but probably anything between March 28 and April 4 would be adequate.

Anyone know where I can find such a thing, preferably free?  Big Grin
I see what you did there. Big Grin

Follow the insurance payoff.  LOL!
(2022-04-08, 07:25 PM)Desert Fog Wrote: I see what you did there. Big Grin

Follow the insurance payoff.  LOL!

I'm impatient!  Wink

I wonder if we'll ever see a perp walk featuring Travis!  Big Grin
It would not surprise me if we do.

Keep digging!
Is this about the people who got lost in their motor home? Or unrelated?
Indeed, it concerns them.

Allegedly, their 32' motorhome, which was towing a car on a dolly, made it to those coordinates. I and others are skeptical and looking for some proof.
Back to the original question. Does such satellite imagery exist? I would like to see it.
(2022-04-11, 08:19 AM)trailhound Wrote: Back to the original question. Does such satellite imagery exist? I would like to see it.

I would too. I've been over Coyote Pass a couple of times and am familiar with the area, although not on the road associated with the above coordinates.
The data clearly exists - witness the detailed images that get released about the war in Ukraine. Are these positionable spy satellites? I think not, but I'm not sure. A lot of these sorts of images these days often have a "byline" or copyright which appears to be a private company. But there's the rub - would they make them available to the public for free? Not sure.

Recall some years ago there was a crowdsourced attempt to find the plane wreckage of someone famous (I forget who - Hollywood actor?) somewhere in western (?) Nevada? Were they working with just google images? I think so, not sure. I guess the idea was that a wreck isn't going anywhere, whereas in this case Candace is asking about something that would have been visible for days but not forever?

The MODIS etc. sats update daily, but there's not enough resolution there. I use them mostly to watch snow melt off in the late spring / summer, and though you can pick out peaks and ridges, you don't get much more detail than that.
Are you thinking of Steve Fossett?

The Steve Fossett Accident