Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest Hiking Incidents
News Releases - Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

Top article.

These in the blotter dated February 5th of the Inyo County Sheriff's department in connection with the incidents.

08:22 AMBULANCE REQUEST 2302050009
Occurred at Mosaic Canyon Rd on (Unknown Address). , in Death Valley. . Disposition: Referred To Other Agency.

15:01 REQUEST DEPUTY 2302050017
Occurred at Wildrose Trail on (Unknown Address). , in Death Valley. In mountiain trail wildrose trail male lost on the trail sounds out of breath. . Disposition: Referred To Other Agency.

As the Sgt. Esterhaus of Hill Street Blues used to end his morning briefing every episode, "Let's be careful out there!"
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
Im going to be soooooooooo embarrassed if on top of ever needing a rescue it gets a post about it
(2023-02-08, 10:16 PM)Daymoth Wrote: Im going to be soooooooooo embarrassed if on top of ever needing a rescue it gets a post about it

In this day and age, you'll soon be found by a gaggle of cell phone toting teens who are uploading your plight to Tik Tok in real time ...  Rolleyes
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
(2023-02-08, 10:31 PM)DAW89446 Wrote:
(2023-02-08, 10:16 PM)Daymoth Wrote: Im going to be soooooooooo embarrassed if on top of ever needing a rescue it gets a post about it

In this day and age, you'll soon be found by a gaggle of cell phone toting teens who are uploading your plight to Tik Tok in real time ...  Rolleyes

I know right! I shudder at the thought
Ha! Nevermind teenagers with phones, the NPS itself is posing on instagram photos of the rescued at mosaic canyon.

I would be so mortified....
Small price to pay if you need a rescue, if you ask me Smile Well I'm not going to get lost and and waste 18 miles wandering, that's for sure. As for a tibia breaking fall.... you gotta wonder. I took a nasty one in way upper mosaic making the last cross from side canyon to main trying to reach Twin Spring and came close to going over an edge on very unstable terrain... but didn't and just got badly scraped up. But here's plenty of places one can get hurt out there for sure.
A friend sent me a news report on this, which had this image of the Mosaic canyon rescue:
https://www.8newsnow.com/wp-content/uplo...5-4v2.jpeg

I find it amusing that the woman is still nursing her coffee.

Also, that "wheeled litter" looks like an absolute beast.
That coffee pose is priceless Smile I guess they did not get too far into the canyon.
Maybe the coffee belonged to the person rescued …  Rolleyes
DAW
I enjoyed mocking the coffee, but that pic appears to be at the canyon entrance near the parking lot, so could just be a bystander.