Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Road open
A while ago someone posted about the Dark Skies festival, which begins tomorrow, and I mused as to whether they planned to open the North Road by then, as there are several activities at Ubehebe.   Well, I looked just now and on their "current conditions" map it is green!
I checked yesterday and it was still red Cool Smile
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
(2023-02-10, 01:03 PM)DAW89446 Wrote: I checked yesterday and it was still red Cool Smile

Me too. But I know someone who is going to the dark sky festival and that reminded me to check again today Smile
Sorry to disappoint y’all but it’s only open for the weekend. According to NPS 4 days ago, it’s open for the festival but closing Monday for continued work.

Or so they told me. Who knows. 2wks ago it was “going to open in a few days”.

I also hear that they haven’t even assessed Racetrack Rd yet. Which sounds idiotic. Who knows. Different answer every day at the visitors center. Gotta remember it’s Government. Not sharing information.
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com
(2023-02-10, 09:09 PM)Beardilocks Wrote: Sorry to disappoint y’all but it’s only open for the weekend. According to NPS 4 days ago, it’s open for the festival but closing Monday for continued work.

Oh, that's brilliant. Clearly the road surface is safe to drive on then... call me dubious that there is serious enough construction work to shut things down otherwise. I think I heard there may be sections that are gravel? I bet they just haven't gotten around to fixing those yet and don't want people driving on them in their sedans. I'm generally real sympathetic to the fact that repairs can take a while, but this is pretty annoying, in the prime visitation season for the park.

Maybe they figure no one goes up there unless they are going to Scottys and that's closed anyway so... grumble.
But many thanks for the update.
Gotta keep the people close to the Furnace Creek facilities to keep them spending their money at the restaurants and gift shops for that “true” DV experience … Undecided
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
Today's map shows the North Highway open.  Our March 21 trip is saved!

[Image: North%20Hwy-M.jpg]
From what I’ve been hearing in my months here so far it sounds like they were going to open it as a 50% gravel road. But the contractor or NPS changed their mind and decided to pave it before fully opening it. Like I said, you get a different story from every different ranger you talk to. But I have spotted paving equipment going down 190 on flatbeds so….

I’m frustrated they opened it without spelling out it’s just for a couple days. That’s going to really screw up some ppls plans. If Hunter Mt wasn’t an ice skating rink I’d be over there via that route.

I’m struggling with how much they’re dragging their feet about Racetrack Rd. The county is doing North Rd. So their crew should have been free for a while now to take care of Racetrack.
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com
Access the Racetrack via the Lippincott.
DAW
(2023-02-11, 04:35 PM)DAW89446 Wrote: Access the Racetrack via the Lippincott.
Yes, this is possible but challenging and remember one has to drive back out the same way as long as The Racetrack Road remains closed. Racetrack down Lippincott to the Saline Valley. Doable but scary. I spent over an hour shoveling and hauling rocks filling in a washout across the road so that the truck would clear and not slip off into the steep gulley. If I drive this again I'm going up from Saline to The Racetrack because like hiking trails, I'd rather go up than down. 

I'm not sure Lippincott is DEVA's most dangerous but it might be close? This video will add some perspective to the drive: 
Life begins in Death Valley