Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Racetrack Rd Open
Racetrack Rd is officially open.  

Now we just have to pray this huge winter storm this weekend doesn’t re-close it.  Argh!

Also looks like Mud Canyon is open or will be in the next couple days.  

Which covers most of the main stuff. Salt Creek, Titus, etc prob won’t be open until next season.  Steele Pass is “closed” but no one is paying any mind from what I hear.
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com
The storm is predicted to be cold, so what will fall likely will be snow for most of the route. Even snow predicted in the Hollywood Hills.
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
Now calling for 30” of snow in Racetrack valley. Lol. I can’t win. And 1-2” of rain below 2000ft. That ought to make a proper of mess of things for at least a few days.
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com
Dang i thought it was going to be just few showers. But thats a lot of rain!

Stay safe!
(2023-02-23, 09:40 AM)Beardilocks Wrote: Now calling for 30” of snow in Racetrack valley.  Lol.  I can’t win.  And 1-2” of rain below 2000ft.  That ought to make a proper of mess of things for at least a few days.

Better set up your cameras on the playa to capture the sliding rocks! With all this moisture, the playa might attract a yacht club.  Big Grin
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
(2023-02-23, 09:40 AM)Beardilocks Wrote: Now calling for 30” of snow in Racetrack valley.  Lol.  I can’t win.  And 1-2” of rain below 2000ft.  That ought to make a proper of mess of things for at least a few days.

Argh, I'm heading out tomorrow morning, arriving sometime Sunday. Do see if you can put things in order by then, would you please? (J/K)
Yup, been watching that storm, but I figured the dirt bag hikers were probably watching it too. Sounds like cold and wet in the valley vs. very cold and snowy up higher. Wouldn't want to try to navigate the Racetrack road if it got that much snow, and Hunter Mtn is probably worse.

Just remember than in rain / wind, canyons are your friend (as long as it isn't flash flood rain) and as I mentioned elsewhere, Titus is beautiful when wet and closed to vehicles.
(2023-02-22, 06:55 PM)Beardilocks Wrote: Racetrack Rd is officially open.  
Here's a joyous photo of the grand re-opening:
http://salamandersociety.com/deathvalley...k-Open.png
Life begins in Death Valley
Snow in Racetrack Valley? Isn't that quite a low elevation? The Death Valley park info page says snow at or above 4000 ft...surely Racetrack Valley is much lower than that?

I don't think I've ever been in Death Valley  -- the actually valley part, not up above in Wildrose Canyon or the Panamints -- when it was raining.
(2023-02-23, 08:53 PM)WayOutWest Wrote: Snow in Racetrack Valley? Isn't that quite a low elevation? The Death Valley park info page says snow at or above 4000 ft...surely Racetrack Valley is much lower than that?

I don't think I've ever been in Death Valley  -- the actually valley part, not up above in Wildrose Canyon or the Panamints -- when it was raining.

Many parts of California have gotten snow below 1000ft in the past 24 hours.