Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contact Canyon - Owlshead Canyon Loop
On a lark I set out on my first exploration of The Owlshead Mountains with references only by vague memories of Digonnet's descriptions and foggy memories of driving past The Confidence Hills on Harry Wade Road from years ago. Also, it seems that Beardilocks and Brice recented posted in this forum about a few of the canyons of the East Owlshead Mountains.
What ended up was an arduous loop through two canyons I was not sure which ones they were until I returned and reviewed the book, maps, and satellite images.  

I ended up packing a half gallon too much water but better that than not enough. Also ended up with life time memories of gorgeous colors, side canyon adventures, cave exploration, lovely flowers, military discards (left them where laid), fatigue from three serious dry fall bypasses at head of Owlshead Canyon, 10:00 p.m. return in the dark to truck after departing at 5:30 a.m. There was a set of footprints laid down a few days ago but I never saw another person. 

GowerGulch44, if you watch this video, I'd to learn what that vivid green-blue rock is at the mouth of Owlshead Canyon? I don't recall seeing it anywhere else in the park?
Life begins in Death Valley
Wow! 5:30 to 10 PM? That's nuts!

It looks like you made it to a spot in Contact that I wanted to check out when I hiked to Con benchmark but couldn't due to weather and time. On satellite it looks interesting. 35.81375, -116.69071

Got any photos of that area? Maybe its 4:17 in your video?
(2023-03-26, 06:27 PM)Brice Wrote: Got any photos of that area? Maybe its 4:17 in your video?

Two reasons I hiked those long hours were I took my sweet time exploring having no idea which canyon I was in and those three difficult dry fall by passes at the head of the west fork of the Owlshead Canyon. I also did not take any photos of the Contact Dry Fall because I had no idea if I'd have to return not knowing if there was another major stop upstream? For the same reason I ended up NOT exploring the West and North Forks which from satellite appear mysterious. 

The views from the ridge between Owl Lake Basin and Contact headwaters is spectacular. From there I could see the massive and intriguing drainage of the side canyons off of Contact west and north area. The satellite shows some curious spots of color that would be fun to check out. Knowing what I know now, it would be long slog for a day hike from Harry Wade Road to explore all of the headwaters of Contact. 

This was my first foray into The Owlsheads and I'm hooked. Steve Hall was somewhere in The Owlshead Mountains last week or so shooting for his next film. I can see why he spends time there now. 

Hope this is helpful.
Whooooooaaaaah greeeeeeeeeeeen

Both canyons look stunning
(2023-03-26, 09:36 PM)DeathValleyDazed Wrote:
(2023-03-26, 06:27 PM)Brice Wrote: Got any photos of that area? 
I forgot to add two images from satellite to assist in views of the top of Contact Canyon.

http://salamandersociety.com/deathvalley...t-Fork.png

http://salamandersociety.com/deathvalley...h-Wing.png
(2023-03-26, 05:07 PM)DeathValleyDazed Wrote: GowerGulch44, if you watch this video, I'd to learn what that vivid green-blue rock is at the mouth of Owlshead Canyon? I don't recall seeing it anywhere else in the park?

Beats me. Colorful rocks are generally a bit out of my wheelhouse (the more colorful, usually the more complicated! I'm well versed in gray rocks.) Looks like it could be mineralization caused by or related to an overlying basalt lava flow. Maybe if I ever get out there I'll take a look.
Check me out on YouTube @ BetterGeology! https://www.youtube.com/c/BetterGeology

And my out-of-date website dvexplore.blogspot.com
Out at 10:30?!? Wow that's a LONG day. I hope you got to eat dinner before you fell asleep Smile

So you've discovered the Owlsheads? Nice. Generally long approaches but little use and very cool rocks. I don't get down there too much just because its a long drive from SPW where we stay, but I think you usually stay near FC which probably saves nearly an hour driving, round trip.

Nice scenery in your video, thanks! I think people should be encouraged to remove those shell casings and clips - it's just trash. There's so many of them, and those all represent shots fired, so hopefully it's not used as a shooting range by the planes any more!