Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attention: HITW and Echo Cyn in great shape!
Not sure where to best post this on the forum but both roads have been completely bladed (Echo to Inyo Mine and I dorve as far as Hole on HITW) and even accessible at the moment to standard clearance vehiles.  Only a bit of soft gravel at teh entrance to the narrows of Echo.  Echo #1 to#5 before narrows.  6-8 in narrows, 9 at exit of narrows.  No center berms have yet developed and all large/high imbedded rock removed.  Both roads have been constructed with very high edge berms to deter xc travel. Hard to turn a trailer around I imagine but a small pop top tent trailer was able to on Echo at a lower campsite. Designated dispersed camps are merely turn outs, and some quite small.   No bladed tenting pad or area and most gravels have been reworked by the flood into unsorted channelled messes for a tent.  Typical, but before designted sites one could usually find a pad of fine gravel for a tent somewhere legal. Camped at HITW #2 and #3.  Overall easy to get free permit if little front desk line and I can say I am supportive of the program overall.  Nice to know that i have an actual place to dispersed camp and not be looking in the darkness of short winter days.  Subaru Forester made it relatively easily last 1.5 mi. to the Echo wilderness boundary end of road. Never thought I'd have opportunity to view the petros (not divulging, see Digonnet) and climb Schwab w/o a very long hiking approach.
Great to hear! Thanks for sharing.
Check me out on YouTube @ BetterGeology! https://www.youtube.com/c/BetterGeology

And my out-of-date website dvexplore.blogspot.com
Anyone have any info on the Greenwater designated sites now?  Curious where, how many, etc.

Thanks!

EDIT:
They finally updated the backcountry camping page on the NPS site:
Free permits are required for roadside camping along Greenwater Valley (Furnace Creek Wash) Road. With a permit, camping along this road is allowed in any area that follows all backcountry rules and regulations; there are no designated sites.”

Interestingly that link says that you can only get a permit from Furnace on the same day. I thought they were doing it all through rec.gov now?
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com
(2023-12-11, 10:05 AM)Beardilocks Wrote: Anyone have any info on the Greenwater designated sites now?  Curious where, how many, etc.

Thanks!

EDIT:
They finally updated the backcountry camping page on the NPS site:
Free permits are required for roadside camping along Greenwater Valley (Furnace Creek Wash) Road. With a permit, camping along this road is allowed in any area that follows all backcountry rules and regulations; there are no designated sites.”

Interestingly that link says that you can only get a permit from Furnace on the same day.  I thought they were doing it all through rec.gov now?
That is correct, in person, day of only, for free dispersed campsite permits. Since it is day of only you can then reserve the site for up to 14 days straight.   
 I asked about Greenwater and I think the answer I got was sites aren't numbered like in HITW and Echo so choose an already existing traditional spot.  Required for full length of road all the way to the Hwy on the south end.
At the visitor desk HITW and Echo have fancy 3 ring binders with folders (the folder holds your reservation when filled out) for each individual site, pictures of each site, and a map of the road.  My guess is Cottonwood has similar; but no 3 ring binder for Greenwater.
It would be nice to see something like you get at trailhead areas in the Sierra or other busy wildernesses, where it's a registry with free self-serve permits that the NPS can drive up to and glance at quickly. Having to go down to the VC first is a bit of a nuisance, but no big deal for HITW, Echo, or Greenwater so close in.
Check me out on YouTube @ BetterGeology! https://www.youtube.com/c/BetterGeology

And my out-of-date website dvexplore.blogspot.com
Well, one of my all time favorite spots on the south end of Greenwater. Especially after a long resupply day or when I’m getting there late. 130mi round trip to the VC for those sites.

Did they really say 14 days? Last year they told me you got 7 days per year and that was it. I think for all permits.
All of this is rather moot without enforcement and I don't believe they have much. Though didn't you or Brice get a note on your vehicle on the Cottonwood Road? Last spring there was a couple in a camper van who had driven off road a fair ways to camp near the vault toilet where the Beatty road takes off from the North road. I called it in (via 911). My buddy called it in (via the number in the park newspaper, which is a better use of their resources) 25 minutes later - there had been no sign of a response. For that matter, I'm not sure I've ever seen a LEO off a paved road there.
(2023-12-27, 03:56 PM)MojaveGeek Wrote: All of this is rather moot without enforcement and I don't believe they have much. Though didn't you or Brice get a note on your vehicle on the Cottonwood Road?  Last spring there was a couple in a camper van who had driven off road a fair ways to camp near the vault toilet where the Beatty road takes off from the North road.  I called it in (via 911).  My buddy called it in (via the number in the park newspaper, which is a better use of their resources) 25 minutes later - there had been no sign of a response.  For that matter, I'm not sure I've ever seen a LEO off a paved road there.

Enforcement seems to be random.  I’m sure they’re checking Echo & HITW relative frequently as they’re close.  

We both got a note when parked legally off Cottonwood for a day hike.  But that was an over zealous volunteer.  When I finally to spoke to someone with authority I got an “ah, him, yes…” in response to “who signed the warning”.  

I called in a group of about 20-30 off road racing trucks doing 60mph down Harry Wade.  No one was answering so I had to leave a message.  

I have seen patrols on dirt roads before.  Def on West Side & Harry Wade.  I’ve seen them at the Racetrack and rolling down Greenwater.  Not frequently of course.  They do patrol but it’s an insane number of road miles to cover with so few LEOs.
Though ancient history and not indicative of DVNP these days, I submit this:

In 2007, when I was still living in Big Pine, a friend and I ventured up to Steel Pass, each driving our own Toyota Tacoma TRD's. I was doing some reconnaissance and photography for my Steel Pass page on my website. We turned up that road that branches off at Steel Pass summit and up onto the slope of the Last Chance Range. There were no signs or obstacles indicating a closed road, and I had taken that road several times previously in the past. Just before the end of the road, we dropped our tailgates for a rather off camber lunch with a view.

[Image: uc?export=view&id=1snu1-epSIHFW6YUGaHY1bNfmRrpVii4y]

While eating and chatting, both of us caught sight of a white vehicle down at the junction. It stopped and stayed there a long time. I scoped out the vehicle with my binoculars, but it was too far to make it out, other than it was a white pickup. Both of us had a hunch that it was a DVNP ranger and he was scoping us out as well. After quite a while longer, he continued on his way down toward Marble Bath and beyond into Saline Valley.

In time, I added photos of that trip to my web page on Steel Pass. In a short time, I received an email from the park service - I think I recall that it was from Charlie Callahan - asking me to remove those photos, as well as those taken at the dry falls in a side canyon draining into Eureka Valley; as these two roads were no longer legal to drive on.

[Image: uc?export=view&id=1OPDy765D_tJWcw03ay-cwurCOTl3MGu4]
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
Been reading your blog. I like Gold Butte too. I did not realize there were all the smaller glyphs / panels around the incredibly sharp high panel you see while sitting in front of the Circus. It is an awesome place.