Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonic Booms Incoming This Week
First I’ve ever seen an announcement like this. 

Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com
Oh man I hope some of you can check this out and video some low fliers. Keep that camera rolling because these events happen split second.
Life begins in Death Valley
I’m unclear on where the testing might take place or what altitude.

Sonic booms could be high altitude or deep in the base right?
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com
(2024-02-11, 12:02 PM)Beardilocks Wrote: First I’ve ever seen an announcement like this. 

They post similar announcements from time to time, but it isn't very frequent.

(2024-02-11, 06:30 PM)Beardilocks Wrote: I’m unclear on where the testing might take place or what altitude.

Sonic booms could be high altitude or deep in the base right?

The least likely thing to be generating a sonic boom there is a low flying aircraft. They could do that kind of testing on the sea range and San Nicolas is a well instrumented impact zone - all off shore where sonic booms aren't a big issue. Probably the same can be said for a high altitude aircraft as well. So I think you are right that it probably isn't likely to be some aircraft zooming around to be photographed.

Whatever it is likely has to have some specific reason to be done on the China Lake land ranges because they avoid generating impactful booms whenever they can. That still leaves a long list of things it could be! There is a rocket sled track there, goes up to Mach 4. They've been building facilities related to hypersonic weapons, but from the little I've seen the big outdoor parts have been more associated with the sub-sonic launch phase of them. Various missiles which go supersonic are often launched from the ground during testing even if they are eventually meant to launch from air platforms. Or maybe it is actually something coming from a supersonic air platform and there just happens to be some sort of special instrumentation on the China Lake ranges not available elsewhere.

Anyway, I've heard a lot of booms from China Lake and I've never been able to see any visual signature associated with such booms.
A friend got an alert on her phone that there will be increasing sonic booms and aerial war practice into spring throughout CA/NV and UT.

Growing up in the Mojave Desert, when George AFB (Adelanto) was still a functioning base, sonic booms were a regular occurrence. The last one I heard was a double boom in 2020 at Austin, NV and scared the bejesus out of me.
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
We used to hear, from our home at the time in Orange County, sonic booms from the Space Shuttle when it would land at Edwards AFB. That's obviously a very high intensity event, but sonic booms are powerful and can be heard a long ways away.

There were a bunch of famous "mystery booms" heard along the Atlantic coast in the 70s and 80s since attributed to Concorde flights that diverted due to weather.
Check me out on YouTube @ BetterGeology! https://www.youtube.com/c/BetterGeology

And my out-of-date website dvexplore.blogspot.com