Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some learned wisdom on visiting DV!
Well, life has been kind and I will have 4 days to myself in Las Vegas after a conference.  Death Valley has always been a dream destination for me.  That being said, I am extremely detail oriented about planning correctly for trips.  This looked like a great forum to get some honest and valuable input on my possible visit.  I have the following questions, but feel free to highlight pointers/warnings/encouragement as you see fit.  And thank you in advance!

1. If I come, I will arrive on May 17 and depart on May 20.  This is already summer, advertised average high of 100F.  Am I incorrect?  It is going to be HOT, but what I am looking to know is if that timeframe is usually reasonable with proper preparation for non-backcountry exploration.
2. I am NOT planning any type of serious off-roading (especially with a rental vehicle).  I wish to view geology and take time for stargazing.  My target locations are Dante's View, Badwater, Mesquite Dunes, and Devil's Golf Course.  Are these all generally accessible with an AWD rental?
3. Obviously heat is the concern.  I am not subject to unusual heat sickness and have been in "hot" regions (but NOT Death Valley hot).  I plan to be prepared with 12 gallons of pre-purchased water, electrolyte-based snacks, etc.  Outside of that, should I be concerned in May about factors of the heat and the vehicle?  Tire pressures?  Damage I would not be anticipating?  Do rental car companies hear "Death Valley" and usually say "no way sir"?
4. I really, really, REALLY am looking forward to stargazing without light pollution.  I also don't wish to get stuck in the park at night, so are there good gazing areas reasonably close to egress from the park?  I will be staying in Pahrump, Tecopa (bit of a drive), or the Inn (though the expense is making it not my first choice).

Optimally, I would visit in March, but we don't always get to choose our opportunities.  That being said, I have other options if May is not reasonable for a scientific visit (I like to observe and look for long periods of time, not just cover ground).  Please be honest! Smile  I have the time to choose Zion, Great Basin, Joshua Tree, etc.  It is just that Death Valley is my first choice.

Thanks so much in advance and I apologize for the length of the post.  I hope all are well and take care!
1.  If you're not going far from pavement then DV in the summer is safe. Someone will be along shortly if you have vehicle trouble.  Still, it's good to have water with you and heat stroke is always a danger if you go hiking in the heat. 

2.  Yes

3.  Stick to low effort, short hikes. Be careful of blasting the AC on any big climbs out of, or into the park if the outside temp is very high. 

4. LA is on one side and Vegas on the other. The sky in DV is good, but not GREAT.  You'll see light from the cities near the horizons.
I wouldn’t worry about a modern rental car bring an issue in DV in any season. And if you’re on pavement someone will be along shortly no matter what. The only hill I could see potential for overheating with AC on is Towne Pass but I would still not be worried. Modern cars disable the AC when they start to overheat anyway. I would have zero worries about taking a modern car to any of the main attractions in the park.

Dante’s will be lovely on a hot day. Great place to sit and stare for hours. Badwater/Devils Golf Course will be the hottest locales.

I’d recommend some packets of liquid iv or similar to add to some of the water. Great for recharging after a hot hike. I think 12 gallons is a bit of overkill. I live in my truck and rarely carry more than 10gal and that can last me weeks. Water is also available in furnace creek & stovepipe to refill jugs.

If you’re into geology I’d put Artists Drive on your list. Short hikes there lead to some pretty areas.

The stargazing is pretty damned good on clear nights. The only light pollution is way at the horizon. But you’ll be up late that time of year waiting for it to be good and dark. Maybe do 1 night at the Ranch or Inn to stargaze in the valley if you don’t want to drive too much late at night? The hotel at Stivepipe is probably cheaper and there’s great stargazing out there too.
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com
Yes, what they said. Stovepipe is quieter, darker, and cheaper. It is easy to even walk a short distance to get good sky - a few years ago they replaced all the outdoor lighting with dark sky friendly stuff, and it made a difference. I really like walking out into the Mesquite dunes at dusk and letting it gradually get dark. There is a big parking area which makes it easier to find your vehicle coming out, but if you know what you are doing, just park anywhere by the road and walk in. Important point, though, is as you go in to turn around and pick a landmark on the mountains on the skyline so you have a line to follow back to your car. It could be ungodly hot out on the dunes mid day, but evening / dusk / night would be nice.

Admittedly even SPW is pricey compared to out of park lodging. But I've been staying there for 35 years after spending a few night in Beatty on my very first trip - I decided to flatter my budget in other ways.

You might enjoy a morning walk into Mosaic Canyon. The dirt road up from the pavement is fine for all vehicles and you really can't get lost. You're walking in polished narrows which is fun.

Mid day... Dante's is the place to be - much higher and figure about 3 degrees cooler for every thousand feet.
As for rentals. No need for AWD for what you're likely doing. The rental companies won't ask about where you are going. Note that your contract may not allow driving on dirt roads, varies from company to company, but even Mosaic is only a mile or so in. I would check my rental to make sure it had a spare; several times I've been given one with the spare missing (and not the kind that have no spare but include fancy fix-a-flat) but no trouble swapping it before leaving the lot by requesting one with a spare.
Note the phase of the moon. Sub-optimal viewing for your timing; it will be up in the evening and getting pretty bright.
Thank you all for your responses so far! Fantastic information!
If you can, go out very early in the morning, and spend your afternoon by the pool Smile .  Mosaic Canyon is much better early in the day before the crowds get there, but for a first visit, it's definitely worth seeing anytime. If the moon is very bright at night, maybe take a moonlit walk out on Badwater and see if the salt crystals are sparkling. Watch for critters on the dunes at night; that's their time to shine. Agree that Artist's Palette is special as well, with good opportunities for wandering around. I hope you can make it, and have an awesome time!
I want to thank you all for your input. I decided to visit Death Valley...just couldn't resist the geology and the dream of just being there. Decided to pay for one of those ranch cottages at the Oasis, but mainly because of the close proximity to so much of what I want to see.

I will definitely follow the advice of the early morning and night-time visits.

I'll be counting down the days...Death Valley is one of those places I have dreamed of visiting, and I can't wait to contemplate it. With a lot of water and electrolytes!

Take care everyone, and thank you again so much!
I'm a geologist, are there any particular types of geology you'd like to see? Maybe I can point you toward something. There's almost 2 billion years' worth of geology in the park!
Check me out on YouTube @ BetterGeology! https://www.youtube.com/c/BetterGeology

And my out-of-date website dvexplore.blogspot.com