Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what's everyone doing over the summer, while DV is too damn hot?
(2024-07-01, 08:13 AM)DAW89446 Wrote:
(2024-06-29, 09:51 AM)Beardilocks Wrote: Currently attempting to research the 1834 Stones in DV.  Anyone know anything about them? 

I assume you've collaborated with Guy Starbuck? He has a page about them, but no real information other than photos.

I have read his page but I haven’t spoken with him.  Also read the short summary by Lengner he did for the DV conference many years ago.  I’d like to get in touch with someone eventually but still getting my bearings on the whole thing.  I have found a few interesting correlations with some minor research.  Curious if any progress has been made since ~2008.  

Your summer doesn’t sound too bad DAW.  Peaceful.  Someday I’ll stop swapping transmissions and get a little place somewhere.  Assuming I find those Spanish riches.
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com
(2024-06-28, 06:46 PM)netllama Wrote: Its been kinda dead here, so I figured I'd ask.

I'm about to head back to Africa for 3 weeks.  Sao Tome (on the equator, with coffee & chocolate!), then Angola (with camping in remote tribal regions).  Finishing up my African former Portuguese colonies (2 years since the Mozambique incident!) bingo card!

Beginning of August i'm driving out to Kansas to help my son move for grad school (then flying back).  Its been over 20 years since I last drove (half) cross country, and its going to be weird in many ways.

End of August, I'm flying out to Colorado Springs for a long weekend wedding.

When it's TOO hot in DVNP, it's also too hot in Mesquite.  We leave soon for the Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Banff and Craters of the Moon.  We had to cut Jasper and make sure we reenter the US before 31 July.  The CDC changed rules on dogs entering/reentering the country effective 1 Aug.  Our dogs are good, just no time to comply with the paperwork.  Had my wife not caught it in time, I'm sure me and the pups would have been doing a southbound PCT hike.  Once back home the older grandkids fly in to visit, so we will explore something, somewhere, but not in DVNP.  Then I hitch my luxury micro camper to one of the Jeeps and head to someplace called Indiana for a rally.   When my schedule frees up mid/late Sept I hope to start exploring some of the pins I've put in the map lately.  I've been using my free time to hone my search/Google Earth skills and have tracked down some really cool stuff.  If it's ever been on You Tube, I've probably found it on Google Earth.  I'm hoping to get more time exploring with my grandkids later this year.  One of them told me the only thing they want when I die is my Gaia account.  Smile
(2024-06-29, 09:51 AM)Beardilocks Wrote: I'm stuck out east for the time being.  Replacing the transmission on my truck along with other maintenance.  Not due to catastrophic failure but due to stumbling onto a brand new upgraded model with better gearing that I couldn't pass up at the price.  We always hurt ourselves don't we?  Lol. 

Otherwise I'm slowly losing my marbles being stuck in the tightly packed east and trying to plan my escape in the fall.  Destination likely include Wind River Range, most of UT (Cathedral Valley, Maze, Needles, the Swell, Dark Canyon, Davis Gulch on HinR Rd), maybe AZ Strip if I can locate enough targets (anyone have any leads on Esplanade Polychrome sites?). 

And I'm sure eventually back to DV, although I'm a bit at a loss for what I'm chasing this time around.

I just finished reading "These Canyons are Full of Ghosts".  Great read especially if you love Butte Valley. 

Currently attempting to research the 1834 Stones in DV.  Anyone know anything about them? 

And finally, still trying to update my blog for the last few months between DV and getting back east.  I still have several trips to get up, but if you're interested in travels in the greater SW check it out:  https://pocketsfullofdustcom.wordpress.com/
I read Emmett's book and had to track down Peter B Kyne's camp and mine.  It took two trips, but it was worth it.  First name you see in the mine is Wild Bill from his visit the 70s.  He's been EVERYWHERE.