Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking Input: Stuck in Butte Valley for two days ...
(2021-02-23, 11:24 AM)Candace66 Wrote: Off-topic, I chuckled when you mentioned the V-notch at Swansea.  I was a bit underinformed about the road when I drove the loop in 2015, exiting via Swansea.  I was in the upgraded Xterra so I made it through unscathed, but it was...exciting.  According to my notes from that day, there's a bypass around that section, is that correct?

I drove past this sign facing the other direction shortly after that stretch.  They're not kidding! Tongue 

[Image: 50973603617_f881a7af29_c.jpg]IMGP7151 by Candace66, on Flickr

Yes, the V-notch has a bypass.  It's on the left heading up from highway 136 (north side of the V-notch).  I've never been up the bypass, so not sure what it's like.  Also, the rough stairsteps on the Swansea grade are getting quite a bit more nasty, undoubtedly because of folks with open differentials.  I'd rather the V-notch not have the bypass, frankly, to act as a bit of a gatekeeper.  If you can't make the V-notch, you won't make the stairsteps.

And yes, I find it odd that the difficulty sign is only from the Swansea direction.  No sign anywhere else on the route.

David Bricker / SYR
DV Rat.  Live upstate NY, play Death Valley, retiring to Hawaii. '95 Cherokee, barely.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Seeking Input: Stuck in Butte Valley for two days ... - by David_Bricker - 2021-02-23, 11:38 PM