Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
death-valley.net shutdown & data scrape
(2022-09-21, 12:02 PM)trailhound Wrote:
(2022-09-20, 09:25 AM)netllama Wrote:
(2022-09-20, 09:23 AM)trailhound Wrote: There is a $39 app called WEB2DISK. It will produce an exact copy of a website on your hard drive. Links to pictures work and it looks identical. Sadly, I didn't know it existed until after death-valley.net was gone. Using this app obviously violates the site owner's copyright.

That's unnecessary. There's free software available that does the same job (and is what I used to scrape the site ~2 years ago).

I can find my old death-valley.net posts, but they are only text - no photos. I assume that the free tool did not capture the images. WEB2DISK does. The copy it produces looks identical to the original on the internet. You could not tell them apart. I am not complaining. Netllama, you did a fantastic job in getting what we have. I am just curious as to what the free tool can do.  I retired last year as a computer programmer, but it was on an IBM mainframe (iSeries formerly AS/400). PC's, networking, and web leave my head spinning.

wget could have captured everything, but the owner of the previous site terminated access before they could be captured (and then threatened legal action).

Messages In This Thread
RE: death-valley.net shutdown & data scrape - by netllama - 2022-09-21, 12:05 PM