Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panamint Butte via Lemoigne Canyon
(2020-11-30, 10:56 PM)Candace66 Wrote: For years, I've wanted to tackle the long route up Panamint Butte from the end of the Lemoigne Canyon Road.  I finally did it Friday, the day after Thanksgiving.

Loving your trip report on peakbagger (which I've never checked out until your provided the link today). I did not see any photos of your hike posted? Congrats on summiting Panamint Butte for the second time. Did you see and military aircraft zooming around the Panamint Valley?

On my last trip to DEVA over Halloween weekend while driving back and forth over Towne Pass I contemplated taking a day to attempt Panamint Butte from either The Big Four or from Lemoigne Canyon. I did not have a solid four wheel drive vehicle so that ruled out driving up the Lemoigne and I surmised that to hoof it from Emigrant Campground would be pushing the limit of a day hike, which your trip report confirms to me. 

I've explored around the Big Four so was somewhat aware of how steep the route to the top would be. In the old days, I believe one could four wheel drive right up to The Big Four but now NPS wisely has it blocked off right near the Panamint Dunes parking area. I also doubted being in shape enough to scramble up from Big Four so I played it safe. 

From what Andrew noted in this thread, it appears that one could explore around the plateau to add some spice to the day hike, but that would take more time and energy. 
Life begins in Death Valley

Messages In This Thread
Panamint Butte via Lemoigne Canyon - by Candace66 - 2020-11-30, 10:56 PM
RE: Panamint Butte via Lemoigne Canyon - by DeathValleyDazed - 2020-12-01, 08:21 PM
RE: Panamint Butte via Lemoigne Canyon - by Kauri - 2020-12-01, 08:49 PM