Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NPS - Volunteers Clean Echo Canyon Entrance
I just came across this in my Instagram feed where DEVA posts images. Notice the stats that they accumulated along with the disgusting human waste. I could not figure out how post the original link to Instagram so I created this composite image to share here. 

http://salamandersociety.com/deathvalley...up2021.png
Life begins in Death Valley
Unfortunate, but not entirely surprising. The last time we camped in Echo Canyon was about 15 years ago, and I didn't see a lot of trash, but some fire rings.

I suspect the regular campgrounds being closed isn't helping the situation.

David Bricker / SYR
DV Rat.  Live upstate NY, play Death Valley, retiring to Hawaii. '95 Cherokee, barely.
Last time I was hiking up in Echo (pre-Covid) I was really surprised by all the parties camping down on the flats. At that density, the sanitation issue starts becoming dire. Yuck.
(2021-02-25, 06:59 PM)MojaveGeek Wrote: Last time I was hiking up in Echo (pre-Covid) I was really surprised by all the parties camping down on the flats.  At that density, the sanitation issue starts becoming dire.  Yuck.

ABAB

(Always bring a bucket)
Or a Hassock. That is a bucket inside a plastic housing with a toilet seat. The lid holds a roll of TP.
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
Or at least bring a shovel!!   Big Grin
On this subject ... I just hauled out two 33 gallon contractor garbage bags from Butte Valley and didn't even touch Geologist's Cabin or the million pieces of toilet paper strewn about it. The site we camped at for two days right around the corner from the cabin was absolutely disgusting. Every piece of garbage you can imagine (and those you don't want to) were left on the ground in the middle of the campsite, in bushes, in each of the five fire rings I removed, etc.

I have a Trash-a-roo and couldn't pack out any more garbage as it was full capacity with those two bags. Depressingly/disgustingly enough, I left behind two 13 gallon kitchen drawstring bags filled with human waste that had been torn open. I might need to wait a week or two before I write my trip report. So many frustrating experiences when I was down there this trip.
Same here Taco, I got home yesterday and feel pretty bad about what’s going on out there these days. 3 consecutive hikes were marred by tracks from illegal off-road driving.
(2021-03-06, 12:48 PM)shane Wrote: Same here Taco, I got home yesterday and feel pretty bad about what’s going on out there these days. 3 consecutive hikes were marred by tracks from illegal off-road driving.

This is really sad.  But it echoes issues I've heard on other public lands out west.  Graffiti on rocks, vandalism, permit poaching.   Strange that the pandemic is bringing more people out to wild places, but there seem to be a lot of clueless folk who are simply disrespectful.  Sad

I guess if they are not regulars to wilderness they don't care about whether others will see their traces - or have to deal with their (literal) shit.

Anyone who cleans up always deserves gratitude! Thanks Taco!
(2021-03-06, 05:08 PM)MojaveGeek Wrote: Anyone who cleans up always deserves gratitude!  Thanks Taco!

I “Echo” that statement. I’ve cleaned up a few disgusting camps myself (non in DV) over the years myself. Living even briefly with human waste riding in the back of my truck along with my camp supplies until I reach civilization where I can dispose of it is not pleasant, so I have profound respect for those who willingly tackle the task out of a sense of duty and a willingness to leave a clean camp for fellow explorers. A big thank you to those who clean up their own camp and those of the careless.
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.