Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Amphitheater
Hi all, 

Will be in DV starting this Wednesday for eight nights. One thing I'd lie to try again and find is the Red Amphitheater. I've tried once three years ago, having driven to the end of Hole in the Wall road, parked and hiked the trail a few miles. As I was solo and it was about 85 at ten am I turned around. I believe I saw it from afar but not sure if I went far enough to actually see it. There appeared to be some butte to the north. If you have some tips on finding it that would be great. Ten years ago we erroneously thought walking over that hump to the left from the end of road was it! Ha ha.

Plan on spending some time exploring close in trails off hole in the wall and echo canyon roads. Plus of course all those places of Twenty Mule Team Canyon
I've never been but can send you info that should help you get out to Red Amphitheater if you want to PM me your email address.

Pretty sure MojaveGeek has done to hike out if you're in search of a firsthand report.
Where are you planning to explore near Echo Canyon? The area between the Echo Canyon road where it goes up the alluvial fan and Funeral Slot Canyon is one of my favorite spots in the park; there are two main canyons/drainages, with lots of conglomerate narrows, small pinnacles/hoodoos, and some false natural bridges.
Link to my DV trip reports, and map of named places in DV (official and unofficial): http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com
Yes, I've been to one spot which may be correctly called "Red Amphitheater" (though I don't know why the topo marks a wide area with that name, as I don't see much red there). Sent you a PM.
(2021-10-17, 08:33 PM)Kauri Wrote: Where are you planning to explore near Echo Canyon? The area between the Echo Canyon road where it goes up the alluvial fan and Funeral Slot Canyon is one of my favorite spots in the park; there are two main canyons/drainages, with lots of conglomerate narrows, small pinnacles/hoodoos, and some false natural bridges.

Hi,

Anywhere along those two roads. Haven't explored enough there even though I have made so many one week trips in now both spring and fall last ten years plus all the trips as a youth in the sixties and seventies.
(2021-10-18, 08:49 PM)jesportland Wrote:
(2021-10-17, 08:33 PM)Kauri Wrote: Where are you planning to explore near Echo Canyon? The area between the Echo Canyon road where it goes up the alluvial fan and Funeral Slot Canyon is one of my favorite spots in the park; there are two main canyons/drainages, with lots of conglomerate narrows, small pinnacles/hoodoos, and some false natural bridges.

Hi,

Anywhere along those two roads. Haven't explored enough there even though I have made so many one week trips in now both spring and fall last ten years plus all the trips as a youth in the sixties and seventies.

Sounds good! I'd definitely be interested in hearing what you check out in that area. 

Here's a link to my photos on the canyon just north of Echo, in case you're interested in hiking to it:
http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.co...oPart1.pdf
Link to my DV trip reports, and map of named places in DV (official and unofficial): http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com
There's a nice walk up Winters Peak from near the old Schwaub town site. It's not a real long hike if you go up the wash that goes directly toward the peak - no obstacles. Another nice walk is the old RR grade from the end of the Echo road to a cool overlook at a sheer drop into the Amargosa Valley, where there used to be some sort of cable works. Watch for petros on the way back on this one; can't miss 'em. More ambitious would be a hike up Schwaub Peak from the same old grade - we tried but did not make it all the way to the top before we had to turn around due to daylight constraints.
(2021-10-17, 05:05 PM)jesportland Wrote: Will be in DV starting this Wednesday for eight nights. One thing I'd lie to try again and find is the Red Amphitheater. 
I'm probably too late to help but just in case you see this post Steve Hall confirmed my visit to The Red Amphitheater in this video at minute 5:00. You can read Steve's comment in the comment section. The Red Amphitheater is on the south side of the canyon and is gorgeous red.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fipijUXgZE
Life begins in Death Valley
Maybe we had this conversation already? Smile The spot in your vid at 5:00 is precisely the place I turned around at (just compared with my pix), and which I chose to call Red Amphitheater. I was wondering if there was more exposure to those red rocks on the south wall further up the canyon (you did a big loop, it seems, so came down the whole canyon). If there is more red up there, I would be tempted to go back up, as we traveled only from the bottom of the canyon to that spot. Ben was only 6 at the time of our trip, so our hiking range was a touch limited (not that he wasn't a damned good hiker for a 6 yr old!).

I see that you also have some nice bearpaw poppies at 4:00!
(2021-10-20, 06:27 PM)MojaveGeek Wrote: The spot in your vid at 5:00 is precisely the place I turned around at (just compared with my pix), and which I chose to call Red Amphitheater.  I was wondering if there was more exposure to those red rocks on the south wall further up the canyon (you did a big loop, it seems, so came down the whole canyon).  If there is more red up there, 
I see that you also have some nice bearpaw poppies at 4:00!

Hey Geek, your memory is much sharper than mine about most things DEVA. I don't recall much more red further up the canyon, or at least not worthy of a dedicated hike for you back into there. The funny thing is I was under the impression that the Red Amphitheater was the general area north east of Hole In The Wall because during my two previous explorations of the area I never felt like I actually located the damn things exactly.
Frustration Amphitheater was a better name. It was pure luck that I chose to descend that particular canyon after coming across the flat with those Bear Paw Poppies on top. I took a video scan of the deep red canyon wall because it was gorgeous and not because I thought it was The Red Amphitheater. So it wasn't until Steve Hall happened to view my video and he commented about "you walked right past the Red Cathedral" that I realized my good luck. LOL 

Most of the time it pays off big time to just randomly pick some place to hike and explore in the park. I've given up making plans and itineraries caste in cement and have had much luck with changing plans along the way.
Life begins in Death Valley