Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mini reports
I'm going to use this thread to post mini reports on my activities.  There's no need to comment unless you want to.  Just enjoy the photos and the temporary drop in blood pressure.  With luck, these posts will trend towards being DV related in the future.

View of Clause peak from the summit of Hoback peak, Wyoming.  Grand Teton is visible just left of center in the background.

[Image: uAW2WQ7.jpg]
With all this additional precipitation, maybe a future peek at the view from Telescope Peak ...  Wink
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
This one's for all you geography nerds.  On my way up Mount Jefferson, I hiked along the continental divide, on the border between Idaho and Montana.  This is rock creek basin.  Supposedly water from this creek travels farther than any other before entering the Mississipi river.

[Image: oQbyVHq.jpg]

[Image: idzvOqT.png]
That's really cool! Gorgeous place as well.

New thing to collect? 20 furthest sources of the Mississippi? :-)
Check out my travel blog: www.pocketsfullofdust.com
(2023-09-13, 07:10 AM)Beardilocks Wrote: That's really cool!  Gorgeous place as well. 

New thing to collect?  20 furthest sources of the Mississippi?  :-)

Probably not.  But I was just on the Green river when climbing Gannett, though I didn’t go to the source.  The Green appears to be the furthest source of the Colorado river. I wonder where the farthest source of the Columbia River is?  Looks like it's the Snake river in or just outside Yellowstone. Eyeballing it, it appears farther than the source up in Canada.

This tri-state corner area, Idaho/Montana/Wyoming seems to drain 75% of the country.

[Image: h4KMJXw.jpg]
(2023-09-13, 03:51 PM)Brice Wrote:
(2023-09-13, 07:10 AM)Beardilocks Wrote: That's really cool!  Gorgeous place as well. 

New thing to collect?  20 furthest sources of the Mississippi?  :-)

Probably not.  But I was just on the Green river when climbing Gannett, though I didn’t go to the source.  The Green appears to be the furthest source of the Colorado river. I wonder where the farthest source of the Columbia River is?  Looks like it's the Snake river in or just outside Yellowstone. Eyeballing it, it appears farther than the source up in Canada.

This tri-state corner area, Idaho/Montana/Wyoming seems to drain 75% of the country.

[Image: h4KMJXw.jpg]

This game gets even more crazy when you start looking at major rivers on other continents. Drainage of the Nile, Congo, Amazon, etc.
Farthest source of the Columbia River is Lake Columbia, in BC near the source of the Kootenai River. Through geologic time, that drainage switches between Columbia and Kootenai depending on glacier positioning!

I'm slowly collecting sources of major Oregon rivers. The source of the John Day River (my favorite) is in the study area I did my Master's in.
Check me out on YouTube @ BetterGeology! https://www.youtube.com/c/BetterGeology

And my out-of-date website dvexplore.blogspot.com
Here is a thing you can play with. Pick a spot on the map and it will show you how a drop of rain gets to the ocean.
https://river-runner.samlearner.com/ USA

https://river-runner-global.samlearner.com/ Global
That website should come with some sort of disclaimer that it causes addiction ...  Cool
DAW
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.
Photo 
I find myself unexpectedly back in civilization today because yesterday I blew out the entire side of my shoe climbing Crazy Peak.  Luckily my pinky toe was still contained, so my foot mostly stayed in place and allowed me to finish the remaining 9-ish miles of the hike.

View of the target once I got up on the main ridge.

[Image: dow7hE3.jpg]

To me it looks like there's a disapproving turtle's face on the summit starring at the two pinnacles.

[Image: 9h4H7MO.jpg]

From the false summit, looking at the remainder of the climb.  It looks more imposing than it ended up being.  The crux of the climb was when earlier I had to retrieve my hat from a sudden gust of wind that took it down a cliff face.

[Image: VcPoTdA.jpg]

View of the Crazy Mountains from the summit.

[Image: mjX6sR7.jpg]